Sidi wa sanadi Hazrat Moulana Mufti Muhammad Taqi Usmani sahib db is one of the leading Islamic scholars living today.
He is an expert in the fields of Islamic Jurisprudence(fiqh), Economics, Hadith and Tasawwuf.
Born in Deoband in 1362H(1943 CE), he graduated par excellence form Dars e Nizami at Darul Uloom, Karachi, Pakistan. Then he specialized in Islamic Jurisprudence under the guidance of his eminent father, Hazrat Moulana Mufti Muhammad Shafi sahib ra, the late Grand Mufti of Pakistan. Since then, he has been teaching hadith and Fiqh at the Darul-Uloom, Karachi.
He has authority to teach hadith from his father Hazrat Mufti Muhammad Shafi, Maulana Idrees Khandhelawi, Qari Mohammed Tayyeb, Maulana Saleemullah Khan, Mufti Rasheed, Moulana Sehban Mahmood, Allama Zafar Ahmed Usmani, Sheikhul Hadith Moulana Zakariya Khandelawi, Sheikh Hassan Meshat (ra) and others.
In tradition to the scholars of Deoband, recognizing the importance of Tasawwuf, he traversed the path under the guidance of Sheikh Dr. Abdul Hayy Arifi and Moulana Maseehullah Khan both khulafa of Hakeemul Ummat Moulana Ashraf Ali Thanvi (rahmetullah ajmaeen). And is authorized by both of his mentors in Silsila e Ashrafia: Chistiyyah, Naqshbandiyah, Qadiriyah and Suharwardiyah. In addition to his busy schedule he is himself a mentor to numerous spiritual aspirants all over the world.
He also holds a degree in law and was a Judge at the Sharia Appellate Bench of the Supreme Court of Pakistan till recently.
He is a consultant to several international Islamic financial institutions and has played a key part in the move toward interest free banking and the establishment of Islamic financial institutions. He is considered to be an authority on this subject.
He is the deputy chairman of the Jeddah based Islamic Fiqh Council of the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC).
He has been writing on various Islamic topics and is author of more than 60 books and numerous articles.
Presently he is the Vice-president of Darul-Uloom, Karachi, Pakistan, where he teaches Sahih Bukhari, Fiqh and Islamic economics.
He also conducts a weekly session for the public interested in spiritual improvement.
List of publications.
Here is a partial list of publications authored by Justice Taqi Usmani. (Updated May 2004)
1. The Authority of Sunnah
2. The Rules of I’tikaf
3. What is Christianity?
4. Easy Good Deeds
5. Perform Salah Correctly
6. An Introduction to Islamic Finance
7. Historic Judgment on Interest
8. The Language of Friday Khutbah
9. Discourse on Islamic way of Life
10. Sayings of Prophet Muhammad sallalaho alehey wasalam
11. The Legal Status of Following a Madhab
12. Spiritual Discourses
13. Islamic Months
14. Radiant Prayers
15. Quranic Sciences
16. Islam and Modernism
17. Contemporary Fatawa
1. Takmala Fathul Mulhim (An encyclopedic work of interpretation of Sahih Muslim in six volumes).
2. Ma Hea An-Nasraniyah? (What is Christianity?)
3. Nathrat ‘Abarah Houl At-Ta’limi Al-Islamiyah (About Islamic Education).
4. Ahkamu Al-Auraq An-Naqdiyah (Rulings regarding paper money).
5. Bahouth Fee Qadaya Fiqheyah Ma’asirah (Fiqh discussions on some important contemporary issues).
6. Ahkam uz Zibai’h (Islamic rulings for slaughtering animals)
1. Ina’mul Bari (Explanation of famous hadith collection Sahih Bukhari) (9 volumes, 3 published as yet)
2. Asan Nakian (Easy Good Deeds)
3. Undulus Mei Chand Rooz (A Few Days in Andalus/Spain)
4. Islam aur Seasate Hazra ( Islam and Contemporary Politics)
5. Islam aur Jidat Pasandi (Islam and Modernism)
6. Islahe Ma’ashara (Perfecting society)
7. Islahi mawa’iz (Discourses for spiritual perfection) (3 volumes)
8. Islahi Majalis (Discourses on Tasawwuf) (5 volumes)
9. Islahi Khutubat (Discourses on individual spiritual perfection) (13 volumes)
10. Ihkam-e-I’tikaf (The Rules of I’tikaf)
11. Islam aur Jadeed Ma’eeshat wa Tijarat (Islam and Modern Economics & Commerce)
12. Akabir Deoband Kea They? (The Significant Character of Scholars of Deoband)
13. Bible sey Quran Tak (3 volumes)
14. Bible Kea Heh? (What is the Bible?)
15. Pur noor Duain (Radiant Prayers) (Collection of Prayers for all occasions)
16. Tarashey (Excerpts from Islamic works)
17. Taqleed Ki Shari’i Hasiat (The Legal Status of Following a Madhab)
18. Jahaney Deda (Travelogue I)
19. Dunya meray aa’gay (Travelogue II)
21. Hazrat Mu’awiyah (Radi-Allahu anhu) aur Tarikhi Haqa`iq (Hazrat Mu’awiyah Radi-Allahu anhu and the Historical Facts)
22. Hujjiat Hadith (Authority of hadith)
23. Hudhur (Salla-Allahu alayhi wa Sallam) ney Farmaya (Sayings of Prophet Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam)
24. Hakeemul Ummat Kay Siasi Afkar (Political Thoughts of Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanvi ra)
25. Durse Tirmidhi (Explanation of famous hadith collection Sunan e Tirmizi)
26. Deeny Madaris ka Nisab wa Nitham
27. Zikr o Fikr (Collection of articles written for Daily newspaper Jang)
28. Zabet-e-weladat (Birth Control: Islamic rulings)
29. ‘Iesayat kea hey? (What is Christianity?)
30. ‘Uloom ul-Quran (Quranic Sciences)
31. ‘Idalatey Faiseley (Court Rulings)
32. Fard key Islah (Individual Reform)
33. Fiqhi Maqalat (Collection of articles on Islamic Jurisprudence)
34. Maasir Hazrat Arifi (Sayings and memories of Dr Adbul Hayy Arifi ra)
35. Meray Walid Meray Sheikh (My Father, My Sheikh)
36. Milkiate Zamion aur us key tahdid (Land ownership and its limitation)
37. Nashri Taqreerain (Speeches aired on Radio Pakistan)
38. Nuqooshe Raftigan (Obituaries of Islamic Scholars and other dignitaries)
39. Nifaze Shariat aur us key masail (Establishment of Sharia: Problems)
40. Namazein Sunnat key Mutabiq Parhey (Pray Salah according to Sunnah)
41. Hamarey ‘A`eli Masa`il (Our Family Issues)
42. Hamara Ta’lemi Nizam (Our Educational System)
43. Hamara Ma’ashi Nizam (Our Economic Sysytem)
44. Dastoorul amal baeraey talibeen e islah (Instructions for aspirants of spiritual improvement)
May Allah SWT preserve him and grants us the tawfiq to benefit from him.
Ameen, bi-jah-e-Sayyidul Mursaleen.
Contact address: Darul Uloom Karachi
Office Tele # : 92 21 35123100
(Between 12 noon and 1 PM only. Pakistan Standard Time)