Sidi Ahmad Zarruq al-Barnusi al-Fasi (Allah have mercy on him) [1442 – 1493 CE] said,
I have also seen that the seekers of this age are afflicted with five things:
1.The preference of ignorance over knowledge
2. Being deluded by every spiritual impostor
3. The inability to prioritize important matters
4. Using the spiritual path as a means to inflate the selfish soul
5. Attempting to expedite a spiritual opening without fulfilling its prerequisite conditions.
This has resulted in five other afflictions:
1. Preferring innovations as opposed to the tried and true prophetic practice (Sunna)
2. Following the people of claims and conceit as opposed to the truth
3. Acting on capricious desires in all of their affairs, even the most celestial
4. Preferring fantasies to realities
5. The manifestation of claims without sincerity.
Foundations of the Spiritual Path Translated by Shaykh Hamza Yusuf Hanson