Hakim al-Umma Shaykh Ashraf Ali Thanawi (Allah have mercy on him) said,
‘Actions that diminish sufferings and hardships include:
– Recalling our transgressions (sin)
– Reminding ourself of the reward/compensation on hardships
– Reflecting that in hardship there is test of faith (‘eman). That is, it analyzes if there is faith present or not.
– Remembering, it causes a state of overwhelming slave-hood (abdiyat). The dirt of self-assertion, arrogance and pride is cleansed. The reality of one’s being is revealed and the person realizes not to make any boastful claims.
– Bringing to mind that it causes one to perceive the supremacy and grandeur of Allah’s actions and one’s own feebleness.
Hence, hardships result in increasing slave hood (abdiyat). And the abdiyat is a very distinguished state (maqam).”
Ma’asir Hakeemul Ummat, page 390-1